Subject Matter Expert (SME) Program
Subject Matter Expert Definition:
A Subject Matter Expert (SME) is an individual who is recognized as exhibiting the highest level of expertise in performing a specialized job, task, or skill within an organization.
The credibility of lesson plans depends on the credibility of the SME. The role of a SME is of vital importance in identifying critical information that must be included in the lesson plan such as:
- New policies that pertain to the lesson
- Procedures that pertain to the lesson
- Updated forms that pertain to the lesson
- Supplemental documents that pertain to the lesson
- Minimum of three years of full-time institutional experience in field of expertise
- Three years of directly related work experience in the lesson plan subject matter
- Directly related experience should be current (within the last three years)
- SME should be of appropriate classification
- Exemplary service record (no adverse actions in area of expertise)
- Exemplary service record (no investigations pending)
Additional Qualifying Experience May be Obtained Through:
- Education (degree or certificate in subject matter)
- Previous experience as a trainer in subject matter
- Recognition by the Department as an expert in the subject matter
Interested in Becoming a SME?
- Determine what/which subject matter would best utilize your expertise
- Discuss your interest with your direct supervisor
- Complete the Subject Matter Expert Application and return to CPOST via US mail, email, or fax.
CPOST Contact Information:
10000 Goethe Road Suite B1, Sacramento, CA 95827
Fax: (916) 255-1099
Please contact CPOST Staff at (916) 255-1089 or email CPOST.Mailbox@cdcr.ca.gov to request a Subject Matter Expert Application.